Thursday, October 16, 2014

Standford University

Stanford University is a dream college that most students want to attend. On my fourth day in Second Life, I visited the Standford Libraries's Island.

Standford University - Library & Academic Information Recourses
Standford University Island Map

I enjoyed this incredible virtual learning environment. I was impressed by the Island map. They provide the number of the location, I can just right click the name, it will teleport me to the place I want to go. 
GoodFellow Tower
Good Fellow Tower, 2nd Floor
Good Fellow Tower, 4th Floor - Exhibit Hall
Exhibit Hall - Film Trailer of Umm Kulthum
Good Fellow Tower, 3rd Floor - Library Collections

I think GoodFellow Tower is the most remarkable building on the Island. In the tower, there were 5 floors. On the second floor, it had PowerPoint presentation displays. I think these can easily be used for classrooms. On the fourth floor, it's an exhibit of Egyptian movie posters with text that translate into both English and Arabic. I can also access to collections through a number of media, including streaming audio and video. However, the video quality needs some improvement. 

Exhibit Garden
Standford Archives

In the Exhibit Garden, it displays some of the antique rare books owned by Satndford University Libraries, with large examples of each item (a page from the book). Boxes of items from Stanford's archives also make perfect virtual replicas of the actual boxes sitting on the dusty library shelves. I can view certain items before deciding if it is worth the trip to the library. Unfortunately, most of the links to the Standford University Library page have been moved or deleted. 

Notecard: Merging History and Technology

Standford University Library Island provides collections and exhibits, meeting space and areas for conversation, also online resources and tools. Obviously, Standford in Second Life will have great importance for the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment